Carole Morrison

What would it take to get Service Canada in Houston?

Getting information about federal government services currently takes a web-surf or road trip, but could Houston get a service centre here?

Getting information about services from the federal government currently involves a web-surf or a trip to Smithers or Vanderhoof, but a Service Canada representative was asked what it would take to get an office in Houston.

“Pressure your Member of Parliament,” advised Carole Morrison, Citizen Services Specialist, who gave a presentation in Houston to 12 local business owners and managers at a Chamber of Commerce meeting last Thursday.

“In Ottawa they have a series of criteria – it could be based on population, on the industries or on the need – and then they make a decision from there,” she said.

“It is possible that maybe one day we will have representation here and its just a matter of having our official make that decision,” Morrison said.

She says the more people who bring the request forward, the better the chances to get a Houston service centre.

“Every year we seem to open up those doors and provide outreach to different communities,” she said, adding that this year both 100 Mile House and Clinton got a Service Canada Centre.

Morrison says that in many communities without a service centre, they do service days once a month or a few times a year, where they come in and make themselves available for service.

On that day, anybody who needs information from Service Canada can stop by and get the information they need, she said.

“I can do something like that here as well,” she said, adding that she plans to come through Houston three times a year and will available for presentations.

Morrison said Service Canada offers a huge variety of programs and services involving pensions (CPP), employment insurance (EI) benefits, as well as things like finding a job, the job market, training and apprenticeships, getting a social insurance number or passport, applying for veteran services, and finding information about immigration and the Canada Revenue Agency.

They also have an online program, “My Service Canada Account,” where people can get personal information about their CPP contribution, EI claims, income tax returns, and calculations of a pension based on when they might retire.

For more information see under “Services for you,” and for youth services see


Just Posted

Coastal GasLink awards contract for camp near Burns Lake

Local residents to be consulted before location is picked

Houston prepares for projected growth

Transportation Master Plan anticipates traffic increase

Houston’s Pleasant Valley Plaza to host information session about bitcoin

Locals will have a chance to ask questions about the proposed farm

Northwest firefighters deployed to eastern Canada

They will help with fire suppression efforts in Ontario and Quebec

Work “well underway” for shared revenue in northwest B.C.

Resource Benefits Alliance developing proposal for the province

BC Games’ Athletes Corner: What’s your favourite pump up song?

Check out what’s playing in the earbuds of BC Summer Games athletes before they compete

BC Wildfire update on Okanagan blazes

Watch the media briefing on the current fire situation in the Okanagan.

UPDATED: Evacuation alert issued due to Dog Creek Trail Wildfire

UPDATED: The Dog Creek wildfire has grown substantially over the past two… Continue reading

RCMP help to save goats from wildfire

The fast-approaching wildfire, sparked Thursday, forced the evacuation of five homes

VIDEO: Near drowning captured on popular B.C. river

Search and Rescue manager says the popular pastime of floating in the summer is inherently dangerous

Crosswalk vandalism leaves black mark for Cowichan as B.C. Games begin

Rainbow crosswalk defaced just days after being painted

Photo gallery: BC Games Day 1

A brief look at action from the 2018 BC Summer Games in the Cowichan Valley

UPDATED: Anti-pipeline campers digging in as eviction deadline expires

The City of Burnaby had ordered the Kinder Morgan pipeline protesters out for violating bylaws

Trump was taped talking of paying Playboy model: AP source

Source says former personal lawyer Michael Cohen secretly recorded discussion prior to 2016 election

Most Read