The threatening post, with the poster’s name and expletives blacked out. (contributed)

The threatening post, with the poster’s name and expletives blacked out. (contributed)

Suspect arrested after Kelowna mayor receives death threat

RCMP say a 52-year-old man was arrested after an online post called for Kelowna’s mayor to be shot

Update—May 15, 10:47 a.m.

Kelowna RCMP say they have arrested a man in relation to a online threat against Kelowna Mayor Colin Basran.

The suspect, a 52-year-old Kelowna man, faces potential criminal charges, according to the RCMP.

He was released on strict conditions and is expected to appear in court on June 24, 2019.

Police confirmed Wednesday morning they were investigating a threat made against “a City of Kelowna official.”

After receiving a report of the threat Tuesday evening, the Kelowna RCMP said they identified and arrested a suspect.

Update—May 15, 10:30 a.m.

Kelowna Mayor Colin Basran has responded to a threat against him posted on social media.

The threat called for someone to shoot the mayor and prompted his family to report the threat to the RCMP.

In an post of his own on Instagram, Basran said criticism is expected by people who run for, and hold, public office. But the threat posted against him went too far.

“When you put your name forward and are selected to serve the people of your community, you expect some criticism,” wrote Basran. “But the post above goes beyond anything I would have ever expected.”

He said while the posted threat may not appear to be “a big deal” to some, it was is incredibly hurtful to both him and his family.

“So much so, I’ll admit it brought me to tears. I’m scared, angry, sad and everything in between,” wrote the mayor, who was re-elected to a second term in October.

“I put up with a lot of criticism at times, but threatening my safety is completely unacceptable! If this is the new norm for elected officials, I want no part of it. Not even sure what else to say.”

Original story:

The father of Kelowna Mayor Colin Basran says his son is “devastated” by an online death threat he received following council’s approval of a controversial development proposal in the city.

George Basran said the threat was reported to the RCMP after it was posted in the comments section of the InfoNews.ca website. The comment has since been taken down.

The post called for the shooting of Basran in light of council’s approval Monday of a planned six-storey residential building on Groves Avenue in the South Pandosy area of the city.

The proposal was defeated in a tied voted following a public hearing last month, but on Monday Basran, using his mayoral executive privilege, brought the issue back for a second vote. This time, with a full council, it was approved 5-4.

READ MORE: Second time lucky for proposed Kelowna development—thanks to mayor

Since then, there has been backlash against the council decision by south Pandosy area residents upset by the decision.

But that was taken a step farther Tuesday with the death threat.

George Basran said his son is shaken and the threat was reported to the police. The RCMP have yet to respond to inquiries about the threat.

The elder Basran said he advised his son to seek a restraining order against the person who wrote: “Put a bullet in this f**ktard.”

In an earlier post, the same poster wrote of Basran: “Why is this f**king clown still in office? Before long Kelowna will look like False Creek, Vancouver.”

Basran said before the post was taken down, he was able to check a profile of the writer, who was described as a man in his late 30s who lived in the Lower Mission area of the city.

George Basran said he feels people need stood up to those who make threats via the Internet.

“We’re not going to let this lie,” he said. “You can’t ignore this kind of thing.”

He said his son, who was re-elected to a second term in October, has received threats in the past, but never life-threatening ones.

Colin Basran, who did not immediately return calls Wednesday morning, has a young family and his father said he is concerned about the safety of his son’s wife and children in light of the threat.

To report a typo, email:
newstips@kelownacapnews.com
.


@KelownaCapNews
newstips@kelownacapnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Photo collage of loved ones lost to substance use and overdose. (Photo courtesy Moms Stop The Harm)
B.C. overdose deaths still rising 5 years after public health emergency declared

Moms Stop the Harm calls on B.C. to provide safe supply in response to deadly illicit drug use

Angelique Houlihan gets her COVID-19 vaccine jab last week at the community-wide clinic. (Angelique Houlihan photo)
Vaccine clinic continues this week

Plenty of booking spots available

District of Houston
Council adds flexibility to spending decisions

Singles out road works as potential beneficiary

Filling potholes in Houston
Holes filled on Highway 16

Potholes aren’t restricted to District of Houston streets. Lakes District Maintenance crews… Continue reading

In the past, the pitch-in days saw the community working together to clean-up unlike this year, when they will be encouraged to stay in their own bubbles. (Shiela Pepping photo/Houston Today)
Houston to pitch-in on Apr. 22

The Houston & District Chamber of Commerce’s 60th pitch-in day

Demonstrators at the legislature on April 14 called on the province to decriminalize drug possession and provide widespread access to regulated safe supply across B.C. (Jake Romphf/News Staff)
Rally calls for decriminalization, safe supply on 5th anniversary of overdose emergency declaration

From 2016 to the end of February, 7,072 British Columbians died due to overdose

(Government of Canada)
Liberal MP caught stark naked during House of Commons video conference

William Amos, in Quebec, appeared on the screens of his fellow members of Parliament completely naked

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry updates B.C.’s COVID-19 situation at the B.C. legislature, Feb. 1, 2020. (B.C. government)
B.C.’s COVID-19 case count jumps to 1,168 Wednesday, nearly 400 in hospital

Now 120 coronavirus patients in intensive care, six more deaths

Moss covered branches are seen in the Avatar Old Growth Forest near Port Renfrew on Vancouver Island, B.C. Thursday, Sept. 29, 2011. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
B.C. blockades aimed at protecting old-growth forests reveal First Nation split

Two Pacheedaht chiefs say they’re ‘concerned about the increasing polarization over forestry activities’ in the territory

Richmond RCMP Chief Superintendent Will Ng said, in March, the force received a stand-out number of seven reports of incidents that appeared to have “racial undertones.” (Phil McLachlan/Capital News)
‘Racially motivated’ incidents on the rise in B.C’s 4th largest city: police

Three incidents in Richmond are currently being invested as hate crimes, says RCMP Chief Superintendent Will Ng

Commercial trucks head south towards the Pacific Highway border crossing Wednesday (April 14, 2021). The union representing Canadian border officers wants its members to be included on the frontline priority list for the COVID-19 vaccine. (Aaron Hinks photo)
CBSA officers’ union calls for vaccine priority in B.C.

Border officers at ports including, YVR and land crossings should ‘not be left behind’

A still from the video taken of a violent arrest on May 30, 2020 in downtown Kelowna. (File)
Kelowna Mountie charged with assault for caught-on-camera violent arrest

Const. Siggy Pietrzak was filmed punching a suspected impaired driver at least 10 times during an arrest

A screenshot from a Nuu-chah-nulth healing song and performance created in collaboration between Hjalmer Wenstob and Timmy Masso. (Screenshot from YouTube)
VIDEO: Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation brothers produce COVID-19 healing song

Hjalmer Wenstob and Timmy Masso share dance and inspiration.

Most Read