Nelson couple’s holiday turns to nightmare

‘Their disregard for passenger safety was unconscionable’

A Nelson couple’s cruise of a lifetime turned into a hellish holiday as construction crews created havoc on the ship for their entire 15-day journey.

“Their disregard for passenger health and safety was unconscionable,” sad Anne Cavicchi, who along with husband, Doug, are relieved to be back home after the journey.

The couple, among 2,000 people on the Norwegian Sun that left Miami on March 16, said they were told before leaving that work was going to be done on the ship. But the Cavicchis didn’t believe it would ruin their vacation.

“We weren’t going to let that bother us,” said Cavicchi, adding, “we were sure there would still be so much to enjoy.”

Shortly into the trip, it became clear the work being done was not minor.

“It soon became apparent that their ‘enhancements’ meant some venues were closed for the entire cruise,” said Cavicchi, adding that large portions and decks on the ship were closed off and “in the open areas, it was often so noisy from grinders, sanders and other equipment that you couldn’t be there.

“There was also dust, particulate, fumes, and who knows what else circulating in the air.”

Cavicchi said the issue worsened a few days later as the ship became “a full-on construction zone.”

“Health issues were occurring as a result of fumes and chemicals on the ship! I never dreamed I would spend so much of our trip with varying degrees of symptoms including sore, itchy, red, puffy, and runny eyes as well as a runny nose and hoarse throat as a result of their ongoing renovations,” said Cavicchi, adding that shore stops did offer some relief.

Once back on the ship, however, the symptoms returned.

“There was not much escaping it, and you never knew where it would be the worst. Many times, I found myself running back to the cabin to lay down with a cold cloth over my eyes,” said Cavicchi. ”Have you ever been near tear gas? That’s what it felt like at times — the same symptoms and severity for me. The construction workers were in masks and protective suits — the products they were using were toxic and dangerous.”

When the cruise mercifully ended on March 31 in Los Angeles, the couple was offered a 25 per cent discount on a future cruise with Norwegian Sun.

Cavicchi responded “not likely” when asked if they will consider the offer.

Since arriving home, Cavicchi said she did go to the doctor to get checked while her husband is feeling OK.

“I’m hoping for no long-term issues,” she said.

Norwegian Sun management stated in a March 16 letter to all passengers, “We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are doing everything we can to minimize any impact. We appreciate your understanding as we work to enhance the onboard experience.”

Norwegian Sun sent a second letter to passengers on March 27, offering the 25 per cent discount and apologizing “for the inconvenience.”

Just Posted

Houston woman gets two years for aggravated assault

Ewald pleads guilty; trial of co-accused Calvin Dyrland begins in Smithers court

Truck rally in Houston

Vehicles and suopports wound thier way through Houston Saturday as a sign… Continue reading

Story of Wet’suwet’en Chief Alfred Joseph being told

Song of the Earth on Chief Gisday’wa will be launched in Hagwilget

Northwest mobile unit to help those at heart of mental health, addiction crisis

Province, Northern Health unveils new unit in Terrace to bridge gaps in services

Dust advisory from Smithers to Burns Lake

Smithers, Houston and Burns Lake dusty enough to warrant an air quality advisory.

The good, bad and the unknown of Apple’s new services

The announcements lacked some key details, such as pricing of the TV service

Morneau unveils principles for Indigenous ownership in Trans Mountain pipeline

The controversial pipeline was bought by Ottawa last year

Refugee who sheltered Edward Snowden in Hong Kong arrives in Canada

Vanessa Rodel and her seven-year-old daughter Keana arrived in Toronto this week

New UMSCA trade deal getting a boost from Trump, business groups

The trade deal is designed to supplant the North American Free Trade Agreement

Trudeau says he, Wilson-Raybould had cordial conversation last week

Trudeau denies anything improper occurred regarding SNC-Lavalin and the PMO

SNC-Lavalin backtracks on CEO’s comments surrounding potential job losses

Top boss had said protecting 9,000 jobs should grant leniency

Is it a homicide? B.C. woman dies in hospital, seven months after being shot

Stepfather think Chilliwack case should now be a homicide, but IHIT has not confirmed anything

Indecent caller handed 18-month conditional sentence

Vancouver Island man pleaded guilty to making indecent phone and video calls to women across B.C.

Sources say Trudeau rejected Wilson-Raybould’s conservative pick for high court

Wilson-Raybould said Monday “there was no conflict between the PM and myself”

Most Read