Search and rescue teams followed along train tracks Thursday, March 26 searching for a missing boy named Luke near Hixon. (Nechako Valley Search and Rescue Facebook photo)

Search and rescue teams followed along train tracks Thursday, March 26 searching for a missing boy named Luke near Hixon. (Nechako Valley Search and Rescue Facebook photo)

UPDATE: Quesnel Search and Rescue say missing boy found

Search efforts to find Luke, age 12, were concentrated in the Hixon area

UPDATE: 6:20 P.M.

A boy missing for 48 hours has been found according to Quesnel Search and Rescue.

They shared the news on Twitter just after 6 p.m on Friday, March 26.

“Subject has been found safe!” their tweet reads. “Thank you to all the volunteers.”

The boy, who is 12-years-old, had been missing since Wednesday, March 24. Rescuers had been searching just south of Hixon.

A few minutes later, Const. Jennifer Cooper, spokesperson for the Prince George RCMP confirmed the news via email, noting he was found “safe and sound.”

UPDATE: 5 P.M.

Prince George RCMP have updated the status of the search for a missing 12-year-old boy. Luke was last seen on Wednesday, March 24 at 5:30 p.m.

A press release from the police notes more than 35 search and rescue members from organizations across the Cariboo are out searching using the “open-grid” method just south of Hixon. Search and Rescue are not calling for volunteers from the public at this time.

“Crews are working with extremely hilly and deep terrain in some areas and clear cuts or dense brush in other places,” said search and rescue coordinator Dave Merritt. “There is everything from thigh-deep snow on an adult to bare ground. The numerous creeks and rivers in the region are also factors we are dealing with. Search and rescue crews are using ATVs, side-by-sides and even horses to increase their search area.”

Aircraft and dogs from the RCMP are also assisting in the search. Police are exploring the possibility Luke, who they called a Prince George resident, may have been picked up and travelled out of the area.

“We are concerned that Luke may have attempted to hitchhike with a stranger, making us worried for his safety,” said Const. Jennifer Cooper, spokesperson for the Prince George RCMP. “There is also the very real possibility that he is still within the area where search and rescue is concentrating their efforts. Our concern is that there would be exposure to the cold overnight, as temperatures fell to -1 degrees Celsius during the last two days.”

If you believe you have seen Luke or know of his whereabouts, please call your local police detachment immediately.

“Luke may not comprehend conversation at his own age level,” the news release notes.

Prince George RCMP also noted the missing boy is 12 years old, and not 13 as they originally said.

UPDATE: 2:30 P.M.

Prince George Search and Rescue manager Dave Merritt said as of Friday afternoon there were about 35 SAR members as well as CN Rail and local highway workers searching the Hixon area for Luke, missing since Wednesday.

Merritt noted SAR does not need help from the public at this time, however, they are thankful for all the support and will put out a public call for help if needed.

“We appreciate everyone’s efforts and thoughts for us and for the family, we are doing everything we can.”

ORIGINAL STORY:

The search for a missing boy in the north Cariboo is intensifying Friday, March 26.

Several search and rescue teams from across the North and Cariboo region were out in the night and again this morning in the Hixon area assisting the Prince George RCMP and Prince George Search and Rescue in the search for a 13-year-old boy named Luke. Images from the search show teams walking through snowy forests and train tracks in the dark looking for the boy.

13 NVSAR members joined SAR volunteers from across the central interior in the search tonight near Hixon and will continue Friday. If you have any info contact the RCMP.

Posted by Nechako Valley Search and Rescue on Friday, March 26, 2021

Luke was last seen on Wednesday, March 24 at 5:30 p.m. Mounties requested help from the public Thursday, noting investigators believed the youth could have been traveling south on Highway 97 and may not comprehend conversation at his own age level.

Quesnel Search and Rescue was one of many teams called to assist.

“At least five different SAR groups are on task searching for the subject,” stated the post, noting SAR teams from Quesnel, Williams Lake, 100 Mile House, Vanderhoof and Smithers are on scene for the search which is being led by Prince George Search and Rescue.

The Nechako Valley Search and Rescue brought 13 NVSAR members to help.

Luke is described as being four feet tall with a slim build with light brown curly hair and hazel eyes. He was last seen wearing a green and yellow coat with duct tape on it, a black hoodie, and black pants. He may be carrying a ball of twine and have a “P.J. Masks” backpack with extra clothes.

Hixon is located between Prince George and Quesnel.

Read More: Missing child said to be heading south down Highway 97


Do you have a comment about this story? email:
editor@wltribune.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

RCMP

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

 

Multiple search and rescue groups are on task near Hixon, B.C. in the search for a missing boy. (Cassidy Dankochik photo - Quesnel Observer)

Multiple search and rescue groups are on task near Hixon, B.C. in the search for a missing boy. (Cassidy Dankochik photo - Quesnel Observer)

Search and rescue groups have converged in the Hixon area as they search for a missing boy. (Cassidy Dankochik photo- Quesnel Obvserver)

Search and rescue groups have converged in the Hixon area as they search for a missing boy. (Cassidy Dankochik photo- Quesnel Obvserver)

Just Posted

The Quesnel RCMP Detachment is one of seven northern police buildings which can now connect directly to Prince George for daily bail hearings. (Observer File Photo)
Bail hearings going virtual in B.C.’s north

A court pilot project will see virtual courtroom cameras set up in seven RCMP detatchments

FILE – Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs have agreed to sign a memorandum on rights and title with B.C. and Ottawa, but elected chiefs are demanding it be called off over lack of consultation. (Thom Barker photo)
Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs, Lake Babine Nation get provincial funding for land, title rights

Government says it’s a new, flexible model for future agreements between Canada, B.C. and First Nations.

The property on which a residential school (pictured) that was torn down years ago in Lower Post is to be the location of a cultural centre. (Indian Residential School History and Dialogue Centre photo)
Lower Post residential school building to be demolished, replaced with cultural centre

Project to be funded by federal and provincial governments, Daylu Dena Council

Photo collage of loved ones lost to substance use and overdose. (Photo courtesy Moms Stop The Harm)
B.C. overdose deaths still rising 5 years after public health emergency declared

Moms Stop the Harm calls on B.C. to provide safe supply in response to deadly illicit drug use

Angelique Houlihan gets her COVID-19 vaccine jab last week at the community-wide clinic. (Angelique Houlihan photo)
Vaccine clinic continues this week

Plenty of booking spots available

Rainbow trouts thrashing with life as they’re about to be transferred to the largest lake of their lives, even though it’s pretty small. These rainbows have a blue tinge because they matched the blue of their hatchery pen, but soon they’ll take on the green-browns of their new home at Lookout Lake. (Zoe Ducklow/News Staff)
VIDEO: B.C. lake stocked with hatchery trout to delight of a seniors fishing club

The Cherish Trout Scouts made plans to come back fishing soon

Royal Inland Hospital in Kamloops. (Dave Eagles/Kamloops This Week file photo)
RCMP intercept vehicle fleeing with infant taken from Kamloops hospital

The baby was at the hospital receiving life-saving care

Vancouver Police Const. Deepak Sood is under review by the Independent Investigations Office of B.C. after making comments to a harm reduction advocate Sunday, April 11. (Screen grab)
VIDEO: Vancouver officer convicted of uttering threats under watchdog review again

Const. Deepak Sood was recorded Sunday saying ‘I’ll smack you’ and ‘go back to selling drugs’ to a harm reduction advocate

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry prepares a daily update on the coronavirus pandemic, April 21, 2020. (B.C. Government)
B.C.’s COVID-19 infection rate persists, 1,005 new cases Friday

Hospitalization up to 425, six more virus-related deaths

Premier John Horgan receives a dose of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine at the pharmacy in James Bay Thrifty’s Foods in Victoria, B.C., on Friday, April 16, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
B.C. Premier John Horgan gets AstraZeneca shot, encourages others

27% of residents in B.C. have now been vaccinated against COVID-19

The Nautical Dog Cafe at Skaha marina is getting its patio ready in hopes Mother Nature will provide where provincial restrictions have taken away indoor dining. (Facebook)
‘A lot of instability’: B.C. restaurants in layoff limbo

As COVID-19 cases stay high, restaurants in British Columbia are closed to indoor dining

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau looks on as Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland responds to a question during a news conference on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Expectations high as Trudeau Liberals get ready to unveil first pandemic budget

The Liberals will look to thread an economic needle with Monday’s budget

Since April 4, 38 flights with COVID-19 cases have departed from Vancouver International Airport, while 23 arrived. (Phil McLachlan/Capital News)
Vancouver the largest source of domestic flights with COVID-19 cases: data

This month alone, 38 flights with COVID-19 cases have departed from Vancouver International Airport, while 23 arrived

John Furlong, Own The Podium board chairman and former CEO of the Vancouver Olympics, addresses a Vancouver Board of Trade luncheon in Vancouver, B.C., on Wednesday November 25, 2015.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
John Furlong presents 2030 Winter Games vision to Vancouver Board of Trade

Vancouver and Whistler would remain among host sites because of 2010 sport venues still operational

Most Read