Huckleberry Mine has suspended pit operations

Huckleberry Mine suspends pit operations

Imperial Metals Corporation has confirmed Huckleberry Mine has suspended pit operations.

Imperial Metals Corporation has confirmed Huckleberry Mine has suspended pit operations, affecting 100 of its 260 employees.

The balance of its work force will continue milling stockpiled ore.

The mine laid off 20 employees a month ago in an effort to reduce costs as copper prices have plummeted last year due to a decline in world demand. Huckleberry chief operating officer Randall Thompson told Black Press at the time that more layoffs were not expected for the next few weeks.

Huckleberry spokesperson and Imperial Metals vice president of corporate affairs Steve Robertson said the 120 people laid off are pit workers including truck drivers and driller.

“I think the point to be made here is that Huckleberry still has value. There’s ore at depth that we would look forward to in future years in the mine plant, and it doesn’t make any sense to pursue that at a loss at this time,” said Robertson.

“We’re trying to preserve that resource for some time in the future when the mine can be operated at a profit.”

Those laid off are being put on a call back list for rehiring on basis of seniority when prices improve.

Imperial holds a 50 per cent interest in Huckleberry Mines Ltd. It also owns the Red Chris and Mount Polley copper/gold mines in B.C.

Robertson said the other two B.C. mines would remain operating. Red Chris just opened in 2015 south of Dease Lake, and Mount Polley reopened after a tailings pond breach in the Cariboo region.

“They’re obviously affected by the lower copper prices but each mine has a unique set of economic parameters around it. Red Chris is a very low cost operation that’s got high debt load, and Mount Polley has more levers to pull because it’s got some higher grades in certain areas. So there’s more flexibility at those operations than at Huckleberry,” explained Robertson.

Robertson said Huckleberry had an excellent operating record in 2015 with no loss time accidents. In December, Huckleberry received a reclamation award and a commendation for its work with the local First Nations from the Government of British Columbia.

 

Just Posted

Houston athlete trying out for regional girls’ team

Zone 7 girls’ team is first in eight years

Winter road maintenance standards boosted

Quicker response times, longer winter tire season to be implemented

HVAC overhaul to continue this summer

Upgrades at Houston Secondary School (HSS) are a long-time coming, according to… Continue reading

Northern B.C. rail service is unreliable and inadequate, trade minister says

Bruce Ralston pushes federal minister of transport to ensure reliable supply of rail cars

Celebrate the Value of Volunteering

National Volunteer Week is April 15-21

UPDATED: 9 killed, 16 injured after van hits pedestrians in Toronto

Toronto police say nine people have died and 16 are injured

How to keep local news visible in your Facebook feed

Facebook has changed the news feed to emphasize personal connections. You might see less news.

Judith Guichon steps down as Lieutenant Governor of B.C.

Election decision didn’t make her best moments from the past six years

Vancouver to rake in $30 million in empty homes tax in first year

The tax is the first of its kind in Canada, and was intended to address the city’s near-zero vacancy rate

B.C.’s snowpack continues to increase, melting delayed

River Forecast Centre official says sudden melting further into the season could cause flooding

Another B.C. First Nation voices support for Kinder Morgan pipeline

Simpcw First Nation claims people living on one-third of pipeline route support the project

Malicious Monster Truck Tour coming to Northwest B.C. this summer

It’s the first time in 20 years monster trucks have rolled past Prince George for a northern show

Protesters argue both sides of B.C.’s SOGI curriculum at teachers’ union office

The sexual orientation and gender identity program was launched as a pilot project last year

Prankster broadcasts fake nuclear threat in Winnipeg

The audio recording on Sunday warned of a nuclear attack against Canada and the United States

Most Read