The Parksville Canada Post office was evacuated on Nov. 1 around 10:30 a.m. after an employee found a powdered substance on a package. The Oceanside RCMP and a specialized drug testing team are investigating. - Karly Blats photo

B.C. post office evacuated after powdered substance found on package

No injuries reported; drug lab to investigate substance

Parksville’s post office was evacuated on Thurdsay morning, as emergency personnel investigate a suspicious package.

Oceanside RCMP Sgt. Steve Rose said a postal worker was processing the mail when a powdered substance became apparent on a package.

Rose said RCMP do not know where the package came from or where it was headed. He said the post office immediately initiated their safety protocol and police arrived on-scene shortly thereafter.

“We arrived, evacuated the building and now we’re maintaining security of it until the Clandestine Lab arrives,” Rose said.

A team from the Clandestine Synthetic Drug Laboratories will travel to Parksville from the Lower Mainland to investigate the substance.

There were no reported injuries as a result of the discovery of the powder.

“The involved employees have been checked by medical practitioners and at this point don’t seem to have suffered any ill effect,” Rose said.

Rose added that the RCMP are unaware of the quantity of the substance and that after preliminary testing from the Clandestine Lab, more information will become available.

Parksville Canada Post employees had been off work Wednesday as part of rotating strikes around the country, but Rose doesn’t believe the substance has any connection to that.

Related: Canada Post on strike in Parksville

Jill Davies was in the Parksville post office with a friend when the evacuation was issued at approximately 10:30 a.m.

“We were sending a package and suddenly she (Canada Post employee) said ‘you’ve got to go, you’ve got to go,’” Davies said. “They evacuated it very quickly, there weren’t many people in there it was pretty quiet.”

The post office will remain closed until further notice.

karly.blats@pqbnews.com

Just Posted

Bulkley Valley SD 54 superintendent leaving

Chris van der Mark has been superintendent with SD54 for eight years, and has hands full in Cariboo.

B.C. chiefs show solidarity with Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs

Chiefs from around B.C. outside the Coastal GasLink pipeline route in Smithers show support.

Woman killed in head-on crash near Vanderhoof

RCMP say driver crossed the centre line and hit a loaded fuel tanker truck

RCMP to review actions at Wet’suwet’en pipeline protest camps

Senior Mountie says he hopes protests will be peaceful following deal with hereditary chiefs

Houston property assessments nudge up

District now working on 2019 spending plans

VIDEO: Students in MAGA hats mock Native American at Indigenous Peoples March

Diocese in Kentucky says it is investigating the matter, caught on video by onlookers

Want to avoid the speculation tax on your vacant home? Rent it out, Horgan says

Premier John Horgan and Sheila Malcolmson say speculation and vacancy tax addresses homelessness

CONSUMER REPORT: What to buy each month in 2019 to save money

Resolve to buy all of the things you want and need, but pay less money for them

UPDATE: B.C. woman and boy, 6, found safe, RCMP confirm

Roseanne Supernault says both she and her six-year-old nephew are fine and she has contacted police

PHOTOS: Women’s Marches take to the streets across B.C. and beyond

Women and allies marched worldwide protesting violence against women, calling for equality

Anxiety in Alaska as endless aftershocks rattle residents

Seismologists expect the temblors to continue for months, although the frequency has lessened

Women’s March returns across the U.S. amid shutdown and controversy

The original march in 2017, the day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration, drew hundreds of thousands of people

Federal Liberals announce former B.C. MLA as new candidate in byelection

Richard Lee will face off against federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh

No winning ticket in $10 million Lotto Max jackpot

No win in Friday night’s draw means the next Lotto Max draw will be approximately $17 million

Most Read