Tour de North rolls into Houston with warm welcome.

Tour de North rolls into Houston with warm welcome.

Tour de North BBQ at Houston RCMP

Be it rain or shine, nothing stopped the Tour de North barbecue at the Houston RCMP detachment on Sept. 19 at 12 p.m.

Be it rain or shine, nothing stopped the Tour de North barbecue at the Houston RCMP detachment on Sept. 19 at 12 p.m.

An incredible and determined team of 23 officers biked to Houston to break for lunch and meet many inspired individuals and groups, including Silverthorne elementary students.

“As we’re going across the North, we are stopping and visiting schools along the way and we don’t often have schools walk to meet us, so it’s pretty cool that all you kids came out here during lunchtime. We really appreciate you doing that,” said Erin Reynolds, Coordinator of Tour de North and the Northern Region of the Canadian Cancer Society.

The Tour de North barbecue was its own special event with celebrity appearances from Mrs. Northern B.C., Sparky the dog from the fire department, and Safety Bear from the Houston RCMP.

Burgers, popcorn, and a platter of assorted treats were all available to consume by donation. All proceeds went to support the Canadian Cancer Society, 80 per cent of which is allocated to pediatric research and the remaining 20 per cent is donated to Camp Goodtimes.

“This team has been riding since Prince George, they all will be riding the full distance to Prince Rupert.

We are on our fourth day. We will raise over $300,000 this year, which is so amazing.

This is Tour de North’s fifteenth year. So in 15 years the Northern B.C. has raised almost 3 million dollars for pediatric research and Camp Goodtimes,” commented Reynolds.

The Tour de North barbecue in Houston raised just over $1400 in sponsorships and donations.

All the local sponsors and volunteers that organized and contributed to this event made it the success that it was.

“Many hands make light work,” said Sue Jones, co-chair coordinator and volunteer.

When tasked with a glorious purpose, one can see just how the efforts and coordination put in by the Houston community, along with the leadership and work of the Tour de North team, can make the path towards achieving such a goal successful and done with ease.